Friday, May 11, 2012

How does a gamer value time?

On 23 March of this year, I returned to my home from picking up my 3 1/2-year-old, Halo-playing son to discover my back door had been forced open.  The worthless sacks of genetic garbage who saw fit to force their way into my home, my sanctuary, took nearly all of my wife's jewelry including family heirlooms that were worth more than the collection of their brain cells, my Halo Reach Xbox 360, and most (but not ALL) of my games.  I recovered seven of my games that same night when the oldest member of this group of reproductive errors traded the games at Gamestop.  Oops, didn't know I used to work there and was friends with ALL of the staff, did you?  He was caught, and within two weeks the remaining offenders, or most of them, were also caught.  Our stuff, on the other hand, is GONE.  For reasons unbeknownst to me, my wife's jewelry and my gaming paraphernalia were unrecoverable.  Thank goodness for insurance, because now I have the sweet Star Wars Xbox 360. 
The sad part for me, aside from my wife's heartbreak at having her jewelry stolen, is the fact all the time and effort I had put into my games is now GONE.  Let me break it down for you.  Now understand, these are estimated times, but still, here we go:

Dragon Age: Origins - about 40 hours of gameplay, plus I lost all the DLC since it was on the Ultimate Edition disc, and that was stolen!

Dragon Age II - another 30-35 hours lost.

Halo CE: Anniversary - 15 hours or so because I played on Heroic and I suck, so I die a lot, but I was on my way to the third generator, so I was almost DONE!

Halo: Reach - Finished campaign on Heroic, but that was 20 hours of hard work.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 15 hours there, and I had something like nine quest lines open at the time.  I can't re-create that!

Gears of War 1-3 - Combined, it's over 40 hours of gameplay!

So, altogether it comes to over 160 hours of gameplay, and this doesn't even count Rock Band Beatles or any of the other games I played just for the heck of it. 
Here's why I bring this up:  How do we as gamers place a value on our time playing?  How can we?  For me, those games represented an investment and a level of satisfaction to which I no longer have access.  My experience on many of them will be exactly the same because the storylines don't branch.  The RPGs will be different, but the problem there is I LIKED how my characters were fleshing out, and now I have to hope I can get back to where I was.  Plus, I thought I was about done with the $#(&$ giant spiders.  All told, this DOES have a value to me, but how can that be expressed in dollars?  Should it?  What do you think?

No comments: